Maintaining rugs and carpets and keeping them clean all the time is not an easy task and can sometimes be very hard to do. There are a lot of things a person needs to learn when it comes to carpet cleaning. An average homeowner barely knows how to keep the carpeting clean and fresh all the time.
At UdaiExports.com you can get some fine ideas and tips that will help you in the maintenance of your carpets and rugs.
Here are some of the steps-
CLEANING YOUR CARPET REGULARLY
- Make use of doormats. It may not be so visible, but a doormat does wonders to reduce the amount of dirt that enters your house. Getting a doormat would indirectly increase the life of your carpet by a few years!
- A carpet catches any sort of dirt or debris very easily and if it stays there for a long time, it can cause serious damage. One of the best ways to prevent this from happening is by regular vacuum cleaning.
You don’t have to vacuum every day, do it about once in a week, make sure to cover all the areas of the carpet, including under the furniture and rugs.
- Baking soda is an ingredient that absorbs any kind of bad odor. So in addition to keeping your carpet clean, if you sprinkle baking soda on the floor prior to vacuuming, it will make your carpet smell fresh.
- Don’t ignore a stain. If you see one, clean it right away. Once the substance settles in, it would be very hard to remove it to take action immediately. Use your cleaner to spill and blot out the stain gently using a rag. Once the stained area is dry, vacuum it.
Also remember that when you are clearing out a stain, use a white or neutral colored towel to clean it, so that you don’t get dye on your carpet.
There are natural remedies to clean a stain as well, use a combination of vinegar and club soda (equal parts of both) as it usually works very well on stains.
- Even when you are cleaning your carpet on a regular basis and vacuuming it weekly, carpeting does get dirty over time.
- On some occasions, professional cleaning becomes very necessary. It might be a bit expensive, but getting your carpet cleaned professionally twice a year keeps it well maintained for a long period of time.
- Before you select a cleaner, make sure to read the reviews and find out whether the company has a good reputation or not.
- Carpeting is exposed to a lot of dirt already, to protect your carpet from the extra spills, make use of rugs and runners. Not for the entire area, just cover your carpeting with a rug in areas where you feel that spills are likely to take place.
For example, place a rug on the dining table, or if there are children in the house, place a rug in the area where they usually play.
- If you have pets in your house, you have to take extra care and train your pet to urinate outdoors. Pet urine gives a very unpleasant smell and on a carpet, it takes a very long time to leave and the odor would be very difficult to deal with. Use repellents on your carpet as they act effectively in keeping the pets away from the carpet. You can get commercial repellants or if not that, you can use white vinegar, lemon juice or rubbing alcohol as repellant agents.
- Always keep this in mind that shoes should never be worn on carpeting. This way all the dirt from outside will be tracked in the rug and it won’t be easy to remove it.
Make it a habit to simply remove the shoes when you enter your home, not just you- encourage the guests to do the same as well. Create a space at the entrance where shoes can be kept, away from the carpeting.
- Keep the common sources that can stain away from your carpet. Avoid drinking or eating anything on the carpet. Items like wine, beverages shouldn’t be brought near to it.
The easiest way you can manage stains is by trying to prevent them from happening as much as you can.
AVOID COMMON MISTAKES
- In the short run, powders can eliminate certain unwanted scents on the carpet. However, in the long run, they leave elements on the carpet that damage it over time.
If you want to avoid or remove unwanted smells, stick to baking soda. And if there is a very particular bad smell and you have to use powder, make as minimum use of it as possible.
- This is a very common mistake, but do not rub a stain while trying to clear it out. It will not remove it and will only get deeper into the carpet and will make the situation even worse.
- If you are getting your carpet clean professionally, avoid going to cleaners that give you a discounted rate. There are chances that they might do a very quick and unfinished job. They may not clean the soap on your carpet entirely, causing the damage in long run. That is why it is always better to pay a bit more and get quality work done.
- Before you use a cleaner on your carpet for the first time, as a trial basis use it on a very small portion first. This way you can find out if the cleaner does any damage to your carpet or is safe to use.
- If there is any stain on your carpet, remove it right away before it gets absorbed by the carpet and gets difficult to remove.
It might not be a very easy task to always keep your rugs or carpets maintained and cleaned, but apply these tips and get a better result instantly!